Using email is essential for job seekers in today’s competitive market, but that does not mean that all job seekers are maximizing their use of email.
To present yourself in the best possible light, here are two tips that all job seekers should follow to maximize their personal brand:
- Get a ‘real’ email address
- Add an email signature to all outgoing emails
1. GET A REAL EMAIL ADDRESS
One of the worst mistakes you can make when you email your resume and cover letter to a prospective employer is to have a less-than-professional email address. For example, emails such as partygirl85, qt_pie, justinb_fan or love2liftweights do not set the professional tone you want for your job search.
While you may not want to completely ditch your current email address, many job seekers set up a separate email account specifically for the job hunting.
2. ADD AN EMAIL SIGNATURE
- provides alternative ways for someone to contact you
- builds up your personal brand by showcasing external links to LinkedIn or social media accounts
- identifies you as someone who is serious about their job search